Friday, January 28, 2022

Old and In The Way...

... with apologies to Jerry Garcia, Peter Rowan, Vassar Clements and David Grisman. All of these digital photos are at least 20 years old. The snakes were taken with a Sony Mavica FD5, a less than 1MP fixed lens camera that used 3.5" "floppy" discs for recording. The snakes were in a 2" thick plexiglass enclosure at the N.C. Zoo in Asheboro and I put the lens flat against the glass and waited for 15 minutes for them to both look at me.

All of the others were taken in North or South Carolina using either a Kodak DC4800 or a DX6490. The owl lived in my back yard and often sat against my back door, but was reluctant to allow a close-up. The polar bear was not a guest at my house.




















SHARE:

6 comments

  1. They might be old was so glad they were in your way, at least we had the opportunity to see them as well. Lots of texture and color, real nice. But nice of all is the fact that you had an owl neighbor. Boy I would have had a whole card filled with his photo 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have, but he rarely came with enough light! That one shot was illuminated with my back yard spots that he happened to fall under that one time. Every other shot I have is so dim, and the cameras then couldn't shoot fast enough, that none will really reproduce well. And every photo of him at my back is of his back! During good weather, I used to fall asleep on my back deck and wake to him - too cool by many miles!

      Delete
  2. Definitely NOT in the way, John. These are all so nice. The owl is a standout, and the shot of the red leaves in the snow really pops out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tom - that owl made sure all was right in my backyard. The nandina was the best bush, both for the leaves and for the berries - the birds loved it.

      Delete
  3. Love number 2, would love to see that lump of rock it fascinates me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is Stone Mountain State Park, Roaring Gap, NC. I went there many, many times, both with adults and with my students. The only similar feature of which I know is the infamous Stone Mountain in Georgia with the massive Confederate relief carvings.

      https://www.ncpedia.org/stone-mountain-state-park

      (that photo was taken from 1/4 mile away)

      Delete

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig